Financial problems cause enough anxiety as it is. The last thing you need is harassing phone calls and threatening notices demanding payment. Filing for bankruptcy stops the harassing calls from debt collectors by order of an “automatic stay.” This gives you legal protection and stops the harassing phone calls.
The first thing to do is to consult with one of the attorneys at King and King to decide if filing is the right decision for you. If so, once you file a petition in bankruptcy seeking Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 relief, the Court will order an “automatic stay.” This order means that all your creditors must stop contacting you immediately. If a creditor continues to call you after your case is filed, they are in violation of the automatic stay, which imposes stiff penalties. Let us know and we will contact your creditor if necessary. Here are a few things creditors are never allowed to do.
- Harass you by calling in the middle of the night or by calling you over and over.
- Call your place of work after you have instructed them not to.
- Use obscene or abusive language.
- Pretend to be an attorney, police officer or government official.
- Say that you have committed a crime by not paying a debt.
- Contact or threaten to contact a neighbor, relative or employer about your debt.
- Say that you will be arrested or put in prison.
- Use threats of harm to you or your family.
Help is Just a Phone Call Away
When you are faced with a difficult financial situation, you need help. King and King can stop the harassing phone calls and put you on the path to financial freedom. Call us today at 404-524-6400 to discuss your options, your consultation is free, or visit us at www.kingandkingattorneys.com for more information.